The Antigonish Arena Story
The Antigonish Arena is a non-profit organization owned by Town and the County of Antigonish. We have been serving the community since 1969. Our arena is one of the busiest arenas in the Province of Nova Scotia. We are the home of the Junior "B" Bulldogs, 4 Gentlemen's League teams, 4 Senior League teams, 520 young people enrolled in Minor Hockey, 200 enrolled in Can Skate and Figure Skate, Seniors, Adult and Tots Skating, Spring, Summer and Fall Hockey Schools and a 4 Week Summer Figure Skating School along with a Spring and Fall season. We are members of the Recreation Facility Association of Nova Scotia . You can visit the web site at www.rfans.com . We expanded our Hospitality room . These heated rooms have a great view of the ice . Our Hospitality Rooms , Board Room and Lobby have wireless internet service . We have 2 AED ( Auto External Defibulator ) at the Arena now for public safety .
- The Antigonish Arena is located at 30 James Street, seconds from the Trans Canada Highway . We are less than a 2 hour drive from the Halifax International Airport and less than a 2 hour drive from the airport in Sydney. See directions at www.arenamaps.com/arenas/3807.htm
- The ice surface is the same as NHL surfaces, 85 feet by 200 feet. We replaced our Floor , Boards and Glass during the Summer of 2015 at a cost of $ 1.2 Million Dollars . Thanks goes to our major funding partners , the Town of Antigonish , the Municipality of the County of Antigonish , ACOA and Antigonish Minor Hockey . Now with the new heated floor we COULD have ice 12 months per year .
- Our total occupancy for hockey games is 2290
- We are the home of 4 Senior Hockey teams .
- We may be the Figure Skating Capital of the Atlantic Provinces . We host Spring , Summer and Fall Figure Skating Schools .
- We have 1 ice surface
- The Antigonish Golf and Country Club and the Antigonish Arena host an Annual Gentlemens Hockey/Golf Tournament . The tournament takes place in June each year .
- We have 1 Junior Bulldog, 1 Referee and 6 other dressing rooms
- Contact us if you would like to advertise is the arena , we have excellent rates and locations
- An Ammonia/Brine refrigeration system is used at the Antigonish Arena by pumping 2000 gallons of brine through 2 miles of plastic pipe in the 5 inch cement floor
- It takes 9 minutes to resurface the ice with a propane powered Zamboni
- 70 gallons of 170 degree F water is used every time the ice is resurfaced
- The ice is resurfaced an average of 13 times per day
- Our new propane powered 2014 Zamboni cost $103,260.00
- We installed a new Ceiling , Heat Recovery and new Ice Lights with the IREP program
- We installed a new Roof and a new Boiler in 2013
- We installed a new floor , boards , glass and seasonal plant controller in 2015 for $ 1.2 million
- Our electric bill is $ 88,000.00 per year
- We have 4 authentic Maple Leaf Garden seats in our arena. After 68 years at Maple Leaf Gardens the Toronto Maple Leafs played their final game at the Gardens on February 13, 1999
On August 20 , 2008 we had over 10,000 fans come to have their picture taken with the Stanley Cup and Ass-Coach of the Detroit Red Wings , Paul MacLean
August , 2010 Ass-General Manager of the Chicago Black Hawks , Al MacIsaac took the Stanley cup to Antigonish
November , 2010 Player Scout of the Chicago Black Hawks , Dennis Bonvie took the Stanley Cup to Antigonish
September , 2013 Ass-General Manager of the Chicago Black Hawks , Al MacIsaac took the Stanley Cup to Antigonish